Not only will a mirror help you decide how complementary your outfit and hairstyle are, but it is also a tool to keep in your interior decorating toolbox.
Mirrors can intensify the light, create a dramatic appearance, and add reflective accents to your walls as they complement your interior design. Think beyond mirrors as functional parts with the 10 expert tips listed below.
How do I match a mirror to my decor?
In order for a mirror to match your existing decor, you need to choose the frame carefully.
Wooden frame complement rustic and industrial environments well, especially when the wood is accented with distressed elements. ONE Farmhouse aesthetic Also benefits from a wood frame – in fact, grouping mirrors is an excellent way to make a statement. Using two or more wooden framed mirrors in a room or hallway will help blend your new mirror with your existing style.
Metal frame Bring a clean, almost clinical feeling to a room – ideal for an aesthetic that is particularly neat, such as modern and minimalist environments. When you have fun with a mirror and want to add a little more flavor to it versatile spaceChoose a more artistic mirror frame. You can find beautiful hand-painted metal frames that will add a distinctive look to your home, or if you want to simplify an already busy bohemian space, choose a simple gold or rose gold frame Bring structure to the room.
What makes a quality mirror?
There are three main aspects of a mirror to look out for when purchasing a quality piece that will last. The glass quality, the thickness of the mirror, and the silvering of the mirror make the difference between a mirror that you can consider a one-way mirror and one that you want to appreciate.
- Good glass quality is flat and reflects precisely, without distortion – So if you notice even a mild fun house effect, keep shopping.
- The ideal thickness of a mirror is a quarter of an inch – This thickness will not deform a reflection even if it is placed on a non-flat wall.
- Mirror silver plating is the chemical coating used to finish a mirror. Quality pieces are generously coated to form a tough and clear layer that will last.
How do you use differently shaped mirrors?
Choosing the right shape of a mirror is just as important as its placement. Of course, traditional rectangular mirrors can be used, but you can create a more dramatic effect by choosing a unique mirror shape that compliments your space.
- A room with a soft, feminine feel that is filled with shabby chic decor is well complimented by an oval mirror or a flirty shapelike a quatrefoil.
- To complement the masculine interior, you can stick to standard shapes such as Rectangles and squares – The frames make the statement here. Choose a wood or brass frame for a complementary accent.
- For minimalist environments, choose a barely-there metal frame so that the mirror’s functionality is in the spotlight – shapes with strong lines work best Trapezoid, parallelogram and right triangles.
- In a versatile environment, you have the freedom to play with different shapes – strong lines and smooth curves alike! To attempt a diamond shape for an improved feeling, Scallop shape To convey personality, or Circles to keep it simple but fun nonetheless.
How can you best complement different rooms with mirrors?
Have you ever walked into a room with large mirrors and thought it was much bigger until you caught your own reflection? Mirrors can create an optical illusion and instantly double the perceived space of any room.
- ONE Hall can be expanded with a slim mirror at the other end.
- A square mirror looks great in one foyer when placed directly over a simple console table.
- Small accent mirrors can be used in yours bathroom to enhance the space with light and style.
- Floor mirrors with thick, lacquered wooden frames are a great addition to the bedroomThis is where you can check your outfit before heading out the door.
Should i buy more than one mirror?
Mirrors are perfect for framing a view. So when you use them in pairs they create a sense of balance and harmony and they reflect the other side of a room beautifully. If you use mirrors in pairs you can create an organized atmosphere – But a room with bohemian decor can also benefit from symmetry. Uniquely shaped mirrors or those with colorful decorations can also be displayed in pairs complete a versatile environment.
How do you use small mirrors in an open space?
Apart from symmetrical pairings, you can also place several mirrors of the same size next to and opposite one another. Similar to a collage of paintings, you can create a collage of mirrors in every room to liven it up. For a more funky design, choose different shapes and different frames – you can stick to a color palette to invite a little congruence or they can mismatch for an exclusive look that stays true to you.
How do I buy a wing mirror?
While you might have thought mirrors were only for indoor use, we’d like to tell you that they look amazing outdoors too! For example, if you have a north-facing outdoor area that limits light, proper placement of a mirror can reflect light back into the room, making it brighter and more welcoming.
Arched, window-shaped mirrors are popular exterior pieces – They combine indoor and outdoor life in a wonderful way and add a touch of style to your garden. Choose a frame that can withstand changing weather conditions such as metal or wood. Invest in for a long life Mirror edge sealing to prevent the mirror from blackening.
How can you brighten a room with a mirror?
Let light be with strategic mirror placement – Wherever light shines through, place your mirror on the opposite side to create a reflection of the source. The combination of mirrors with artificial light sources can also serve this purpose. If you want a more subtle effect, incorporate reflective furniture into a room. For example, a chest with reflective drawers is restrained and brightens up the room.
Floor level vs. Wall mirror – which is better?
Floor mirror are fantastic additions to any decor, vintage, minimalist or modern. Since floor mirrors are not attached to anything, You can reposition them at any time to use sunlight in every room. Framed options are a piece of furniture in themselves, while frameless mirrors are can be easily stowed away when not in use.
Wall mirror are more decorative, often playfully shaped with frames that provide a lively accent. So the placement of wall mirrors is fixed The way the daylight plays will change from morning to afternoon. Ultimately, floor mirrors are best if you want head-to-toe reflection, and wall mirrors are Excellent for the design of a room.
How do you make a mirror the center of a room?
If your living room doesn’t already have a built-in focal point like a fireplace, you can create one with a mirror. Just choose a mirror with a richly carved frame and place it in the middle of the room – structure your furniture around it and voila! You have your focus.
Mirrors are like a secret ingredient that can completely change the “taste” of any interior design recipe. The possibilities for using mirrors are endless and with some of our best tips, we hope to have inspired your creative mind for the next upgrades of your room. Make sure to add up the light, add symmetry, add drama or open up space and create depth with calculated placements!