While a chair provides the basic support we need when sitting, most of the time they are designed for practicality rather than comfort. Adding a pillow can make all the difference.
Not only are chair and seat cushions functional, they can also look great by adding a nice touch of color and blending in with the decor. Here are some tips on how to choose the best that will suit your needs.
Where should I use chair and seat cushions?
For convenience, you would use a chair cushion for any type of chair that doesn’t have its own upholstery.
Chair and seat cushions are commonly used in dining room chairs, which are usually just bare wood or metal frames, garden chairs, or even office chairs.
Each of these would likely be chosen based on different considerations.
- With dining room chairs, the focus would be on style as these chairs are not used for long periods of time and often easy cleaning because of the possibility of something spilling on them.
- For outdoor chairs you would have to choose Materials suitable for outdoor use, possibly damp and humid environment. They should be harder and more durable.
- In an office, you want to pick a pillow with one ergonomic design This will properly support your posture and reduce the risk of back pain.
Which size should I choose?
The best way to determine the size of the pillow is to Measure the chair it is intended for.
- Measure the width and depth of the seat.
- If you are using a back cushion, don’t forget to subtract the thickness of the seat cushion from the measurement of the height of the back cushion.
If your seat is a shape other than a square or rectangle, you will likely need to order bespoke pillows based on a homemade template. To do this, you should:
- Place a piece of paper on the chair and flatten it flat along the bottom of the seat. Make sure you press down firmly on the outside edges of the paper.
- Draw around the shape of the seat where you want the side of the pillow to sit and cut out the template.
- Test to see if your pattern fits the way you expect your pillow to do.
What is the best foam for chair cushions?
Important considerations when filling the pillows are comfort and durability, but the type of foam that is right for one type of chair may not be the best option for another.
Chair cushions for indoor use
Polyurethane foam is best for indoor use. Not only is it an affordable option, but it comes in a range of densities that allow you to choose the most convenient for you. Higher densities are more durable for chairs that are used frequently.
Outdoor chair cushions
However, polyurethane is not a great option for outdoors. It absorbs water quickly and this can lead to mold and mildew. Closed cell foam is a better choice here as it resists water absorption, although it is a more expensive option.
How thick should my seat and chair cushions be?
Seat and chair cushions are generally available from 3 to 8 inches thick. Anything else would be considered a seat cushion.
While the thickness of the pillow usually depends on personal taste, there are a few things to consider before automatically choosing the thickest, softest option.
- If you choose Cushions for dining room chairsyou need to think about the dimensions of the chair. A pillow that is too thick doesn’t look as good and can also make the chair too high for you to comfortably put your legs under the table.
- Cushions for outdoor seating are usually much thicker than those for indoor use. This is generally because it is needed. Garden furniture is less comfortable depending on the individual design and material used.
- The thicker the pillow, the more material is required and the higher the total cost. So when you buy Cushions for several chairs that are rarely usedA thinner and therefore cheaper insert would probably be the best choice.
- Thinner pillows are also easier to maintain. This makes them better for places and households where the pillows are likely to need frequent cleaning.
Can you wash a seat cushion?
Seat cushions seem a little more complicated to clean than regular cushions, but how you care for them affects both their longevity and their appearance.
Depending on the type of pillow and the materials used, there may be a specific cleaning method. You should always follow the directions on the label. If no information is available, here are some ways to clean your pillows:
- Remove the pillowcase, if possible. This can often be put directly in the washing machine.
- If you are not sure whether the pillow or cover is washable, Try to wash a very small and hidden area of the pillow first to see if washing damages it.
- If only the cover or surface of the foam needs washing, then Use a cushioning shampoo. Rub the cleaner into the surface and wipe away any excess.
- When the whole pillow needs to be washedThen fill a sink or bathtub (depending on the size of the pillow) with enough warm water to allow the pillow to be fully submerged, add some detergent, and stir the water to ensure proper distribution.
- Repeated Apply pressure to the surface of the pillow and then release it. This will draw water and detergent into the center of the pillow and clean it. If the water gets dirty, replace it with clean one.
- Drain the soapy water and fill the tub with fresh water Rinse out soap. Repeat the above process a few times. A shower head can be used for a final rinse.
- Press the pillow between the towels Drying excess water before placing the pillow is a bright and warm place to dry.